Saturday, September 19, 2015

State of the yard....

So, this is where we are.  I've been reading quite a bit, and watermelons seem to require lots of space.  That information, aside with the fact that I've also sowed tomatoes, has made me come to the conlusion that the previous piece of land dedicated for this seemed inadequate.

How our yard currently looks.  It'll be much larger by this time tomorrow.
I got myself 80 more pavers.  I will be extending the garden area all along the side of the fence.  This will give me the room I need (I think) to properly spread the watermelons and tomatoes.

80 pavers for $30 ain't that shabby of a deal!
I really love my Golf.
As for what we're growing, this is the current state of the seedlings.  Leggy, barely any true leaves out yet, and not fully sprouted yet.  The watermelons seem to be continuously searching for light, no matter where I put them, not wanting to fully commit to opening their seed leaves (called cotyledon) yet.  

Heirloom tomatoes on the left, watermelons on the right.  In the back is my snow pea, growing quite happily.
You can see "some" true leaves starting to grow.
After much consideration, here's my plan:  I'm going to transplant the seedlings into 16 peat pots.  This will allow me to do two things: 1. I will be able to transplant the seedlings in deeper, giving them better support, and 2. having the seedlings in pots, I'll be able to move them around the house easier, putting them closer and more of them on the south-facing window sills.  Only a couple of the tomato seedlings have sprouted their true leaves yet, and technically until that happens, it is advised not to plant outside.  Don't ask me how it is then okay to start seeds outside...

You can plant these outside, pot and all, and the pot will disintegrate into ground.
I will take pictures of the yard tomorrow, as well as the newly transplanted plants in their new homes.  I'm hoping that this will allow them to grow as they should.

No comments:

Post a Comment